Monday, January 21, 2013

yea, behold, many mighty miracles we have wrought in this land, for which we will praise his name forever.


Dearest loves,
 
I would be lying if I told you I wasn't devasted when I got my transfer call. GOOD things are happening in Moses Lake. I was so sure I would be there for Francisco and Lorena and Daniel's baptisms. I just loved them so dearly. I'd never met any people more humble and prepared than them. All I wanted was to see someone's transformation from start to finish. So far I've caught the baptism and endure to the end part of the work. And I've seen the faith and repentance part come into play. But I haven't seen the whole gospel work and change and heal someone's heart all the way through. That's all I want on my mission and I know the Lord knows best. I needed to come to Spokane Valley. but I just love and miss my family in Moses Lake. That's what it feels like. Like I just moved away from home to the big city. Where I don't know anyone and where I sometimes feel pretty small.
 
Timing is everything with the Lord. Sister Sanchez got here two weeks ago and since the Lord knows how things work and He knew that Sister Velez would end up going home,  you would've thought I'd get transferred here at the start of the tranfser. But the truth is I needed that last week in Moses. I needed to work and learn more from Sister Tippetts and Sister Smith. There was a training this last Thursday that only missionary leaders were invited to attend. Because I was training I was able to go. And then because I was getting transferred that same day, they invited my new companion, Sister Sanchez to come too. If the circumstances would have been any different, we wouldn't have gone. And we needed that training. It was incredible. The head of prosilyting for missionary work came and spoke and uplifted us. I was pumped by the end of it. Sister Sanchez and I were both feeling excited to get to work in the Valley.
 
And we need that enthusiasm.
 
Because there isn't a whole lot going on in Spokane Valley right now. The sister who went home sick didn't feel well most days so they only left the house for their appointments. They weren't teaching very many people or tracting ever. Since Sister Sanchez only got here two weeks ago, we are both really new, so it's like we are sweeping in. We don't have a lot of investigators to teach right now but we are optimistic. The fun part about being new to an area is that you can go anywhere and talk to anyone because you have never been anywhere or talked to anyone before. This place is huge! I thought my area in Moses was big, but there are just TONS of people here. SO much potential. We have to work really, really hard to see some things start to take place but I know that the Lord sent us here to find the elect, the people ready and willing to accept the message about Jesus Christ. It was tough to leave my Moses, and even still my heart aches a bit, but I know there are people to love and teach and serve wherever I go. I'm so grateful I started in Moses Lake. It's given me hope and happiness and I know the potential of the work. I know where Spokane Valley can end up. I know there are people waiting to hear the gospel here just like any other area in the mission.
 
We will be tracting a lot this next week. A LOT of finding. I'm really glad Sister Tippetts and I had that week of amazing QGCs last transfer because it showed me the miraculous power of talking to everyone. We need miracles here. That's all Sister Sanchez and I want. We want to be so obedient, work so hard, do all we can, so that the Lord pours out His blessings. I want to be worthy of the people He trusts us to teach.
 
Sister Sanchez is the cutest little thing ever. We are both nearly the same size so we're telling everyone we are like dynamite with a mighty punch. She is from Mexico and so my spanish is going to improve so much! We speak Spanish all day one day, and the next day we speak in all English. It helps us both improve our language skills. Sister Sanchez was working in Moses lake with Sister Hicks the transfer before I got there and I think it is good that we've both worked with Sister Hicks. We follow her work ethic. She was a go,go,go kind of missionary and that's how we've got to be in Spokane Valley. Sister Sanchez is so great-truly the Lord knew we both needed to be here right now.
 
Our theme for the transfer is Alma 26:12
 
Yea, I know that I am anothing; as to my strength I am weak;
therefore I will bnot boast of myself, but I will cboast of my God,
for in his dstrength I can do all ethings;
yea, behold, many mighty miracles we have wrought in this land,
for which we will praise his name forever.
 
That's what we want to say by the end of our time in Spokane Valley.
"yea, behold, many mighty miracles we have wrought in this land,
for which we will praise his name forever."
 
I'm giving it all to the Lord these next few weeks. I want to come home exhausted every day and just know I've done my best. Because when I do all I can do, that's when He comes in to lift us higher. This work isn't possible without our Savior, Jesus Christ.
 
Being in the Valley has a lot of perks. Every type of food on the planet is here. Every country, every cousine. There is every store too! Winco, Target, and Plato's closet. Everything! We live 5 minutes from the temple so when we go to the temple this transfer we will still have a pretty full P-day! And we can go visit coeur d'alene on a p-day too! We work in a ward and branch here too. The spanish work is a little different here. In Moses, everyone was from Mexico and they worked in the farms. Here people are from ALL over south america. Colombia, Argentina, Uruguay, Guatemala. It's actually pretty awesome but the spanish speakers don't all congregrate the way they did in Moses and so you have to look far and wide to teach them. They are all really spread out.  Oh and also! Elder Legarra is in my district here. He was in my district at the MTC and so he feels like one of my old friends here. I know I'll grow to love Spokane Valley just the same way I loved Moses but it's different. Moses was my home town, where I was born and raised. A part of me feels like my time there isn't quite finished and I can't tell if I'm just dreaming I'll go back or if maybe the Lord has more in store for me there. Only time will tell I suppose.
 
 
Love you lots,
 
Hermanita Em
 

No comments:

Post a Comment