Monday, January 14, 2013

Day 110: the secret of missionary work is WORK

[Editors note: Hermana Em had an emergency transfer to Spokane Valley! If you would like to write her, just send letters to the mission office address for now!]

My dearest dears,
Being a missionary is the best thing I've ever done for my life. Every, every part of who I am feels like it's stemmed from my missionary work. I know that too, who I am and have already become in my life contributes so much to the missionary I am each day. I just love the people we meet each day and that God trusts me to do His miraculous work.
Our new companion, Sister Smith, is the cutest. She is pretty different from Sister Tippetts and I. Both of us are pretty bold and confident in the lessons and she is more quiet and reserved. She is warming up to us though and she cracks us up. She joined the church almost 2 years ago and I really admire her courage to come on a mission even though she's the only member in her family. She knows it's true and she is firmly planted in her testimony. Being a trainer has taught me so much and helped my confidence as well. It's also had me reflecting on my transfer with Sister Hicks and how I'm so grateful she pushed me out of my comfort zone so that I could learn and grow more. It's funny how this transfer will be so different from last transfer and I almost feel like it's when people say, "everything changes when you have kids." but it's true. Sister Tippetts and I are already working differently than we did last transfer, but it's still a lot of fun. Sister Smith adds a little spice to our companionship.
It's pretty freezing here. You may actually want to send me some more hand warmers after all :) But I hear that Provo has had a TON of snow and we don't have any. It's just really, really, REALLY cold. 
We started teaching this guy named Francisco last week and oh, I love him so. He lives in the same trailer park as Daniel and Lorena and so we are basically there everyday finding and teaching new people. Trailer parks are the best. Such humble and kind people. We first met Francisco because we were trying to catch his neighbor, Nicolasa at home and he was working on building a little covering over his door. He called out to us that nobody was home and I figured he was one of those neighbors trying to 'save' his friends from the missionaries but we went over to talk to him anyway. He was interested in how we learned spanish because he really wants to learn english. We set up a time to pass by his house but I didn't have a lot of confidence. People always set up new times but are hardly there when we actually go by to teach again. And wouldn't you know it, he wasn't there when we went back. But, persistence is key in missionary work and we went by the next night. Turns out there was a miscommunication. He had been waiting for us the night before but we showed up at a different time. So we taught him a quick lesson and invited him to be baptized. He said yes! He's preparing to be baptized Feb. 16th. He is so good hearted, I just feel so happy every time we teach him. He had never prayed before and he said that since we've come he's really felt so much more peace in his life.
I love working with the hispanic people so much. They are going to switch the stake here soon so that there is a missionary companionship in each ward which means we will probably only be working in the spanish branch. I'm torn because I love our 6th ward and the members and I learn so much about how I want to be a wife and mother and ward member from them, but I love working with the hispanic people so much. I am so happy that the Rogers can work in the spanish branch at home. We have a lot of members that get called to serve in our branch and they make all the difference. Their solid foundation helps to build these people who live in such instability. We had a couple walk in last week for the first time and they were so nervous, just like little kids on their first day of school. Neither of them speak Spanish and they got called to help teach our "Daily Dose" english classes that we offer Tuesdays and Thursdays. They have just embraced and loved the branch in this week span and my heart is so full for all the good people here. Farmers are my favorite people. Hard workers and kind hearts. Oh, this is my mission.
Welp, I love you all so, so much! Pray for opportunities to serve others and lift those around you. Share mormon.org! Share a Book of Mormon, share your testimony! Member missionary work helps us SO much!
I know this message is true. Each time we watch the restoration DVD with someone, the room is filled with the spirit. "que bonito" they always say. If you look at the logics of it, a movie about a boy who sees a vision is kind of strange. But people always love it. The spirit tesitifies of truth. There is no denying the spirit you feel as you watch Joseph Smith recieve the authority from God to restore Christ's church back to the earth. This is true. There is a prophet on the earth today who leads and guides the church under the direction of our loving, Heavenly Father. What a joy it is to share this truth with those seeking it.
Happy monday!
Hermana Em

No comments:

Post a Comment